At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defense, Space and Security (BDS) is currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer (Level 3) in Huntsville, AL.
The team’s primary customer is NASA Human Spaceflight programs. The ISV team performs mechanical and electrical design and analysis of new development hardware, primarily for spaceflight applications including the International Space Station (ISS), CST-100, Space Launch System (SLS), NASA Docking System, and other future space platforms. The ISV also provides sustaining engineering support for existing ISS systems and ISS vehicle / payloads software development laboratories.
This position will be responsible for technical oversight of one or more supplier developed components. The engineer will be responsible for maintaining the requirements base (Procurement Control Drawing) for the assigned component. Additionally, the engineer will oversee the supplier through all aspects of the component design, development, qualification, production, and integration into the Boeing next higher assembly, providing technical leadership for the resolution of any supplier issues and will communicate supplier status/issues to Boeing Management and the NASA customer.
- Developing and maintaining detail and assembly designs, internally (Boeing developed) and externally (Supplier developed).
- Providing engineering disposition on Boeing/Supplier discrepancies (e.g., rejection tags, production action requests, shop revision requests).
- Guiding the successful completion of aspects of major programs and may function in a project leadership role.
- Understanding processes, specifications and procedures that support the design and manufacture of mechanical/electromechanical commodities.
- Supporting the development of supplier statements of work, supplier procurement control drawings, envelope models/drawings, and interface drawings.
- Provide engineering support to the supplier management function, including development of Single Source Justifications, Supplier Requests for Information, Commercial Item Designation research, and Technical Evaluations.
- Guide suppliers through the Verification process and approve supplier Verification products.
- Participating in technical review of suppliers to facilitate product delivery, monitoring and acceptance / rejection.
- Understanding functional and physical input of the complete integrated design.
- Performs root cause analysis for issues, provides corrective actions and communicates with internal customers and the external NASA customer.
- Successful candidates will have solid technical foundation, understanding of basic mechanical design principles, and demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships.
The position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Preferred Skills/Experience):
- Prior CAD Experience
- BS or higher
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- BS Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- UG NX (CAD) experience
- Prior experience working with Suppliers
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years’ related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years’ related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit for this position. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense. Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as
outlined in our policies.
Apply For This Job – CLICK HERE